Well it has been a long time coming, but we have finally finished putting together a document describing workshops that Sonja and I could teach. For a quick look at the possibilities, click here. If you want all the details including pricing, supplies and room requirements use this link. Don't hesitate to contact us if you have other ideas or questions.
Apart from getting the word out there about our workshop offerings, I was also anxious to give an update on the jacket project I was working on the last time I posted. The jacket is now finished and I am quite pleased with it. I learned a great deal in the process of making it. Not only did I learn more about putting together patterned fabrics, but I also learned more about using French seams.
As I mentioned in my last post, this jacket started with pieced strips that I'd created when I couldn't decide what to do next for a big project. In trying to put the pieced strips together with other fabrics to make enough for a jacket, I discovered that a patterned fabric worked better than a solid to create a pleasing overall look. I'm still surprised when I look at it finished.
After finishing this, I am now hooked on using French seams in places I'd never expected to use them. I even tried out using them for attaching the collar and cuffs on this one. Attaching the collar that way was a little tricky, but worth the trouble. I love the additional bit of subtle pizazz added by the tucks down the front and on the sleeves. I'm definitely going to use them again on my next one.
Here are the fabrics I'm planning to use next. We'll see how it goes. This time I'll try pairing the pieced strips with hand-dyes. One is fabric from an old damask tablecloth that we dyed, the other I believe is a piece from Helene Davis.
Mother & daughter, Ann Lee & Sonja Lee-Austin share their joys and struggles in their art and lives.